Have you considered having an adventure at your library? Libraries are cool, peaceful places to spend a summer day. Each one of our branches is unique, with fun, interactive children's areas, comfortable reading spaces, magazines, puzzles, games, and even patios. But there is so much more to do with a little imagination*.
Take the kids to a Ventura County Library and do something different, be creative, and have an adventure.
- Look at microfilm or a news article from your birthday, or a hundred years ago, or when grandma was born.
- Look for the biggest book in the library. Take your picture with it.
- Browse the travel section, find a place you want to visit, make some plans.
- Go to the cookbook area, choose a recipe, go the store, get the ingredients and cook it that day.
- Everyone find a poem, read it out loud and then copy it into your journal.
- Choose a random CD, listen to it all the way through.
- Kind Bomb: write good wishes and thoughts on paper and hide them in books in the children's department.
- Scan the books of quotes. Find a good one and write it outside on the sidewalk with chalk.
- Bring paper and colored pencils. Draw from the easy I-Can-Draw-Books for an hour.
- Take a present to the librarians.
- Leave a thoughtful review on a post-it note in a book you really loved.
- Make photocopies of your hand, funny book titles, weird images....
- Make a list of suggested books and media for your library to buy. Make the library YOUR library.
- Browse books on the flora and fauna of your area. Learn to identify something new.
- Check out the corresponding children’s or adult section to your favorite area (reptiles, art, mystery...)
- Ask about the special collections.
- Read a biography from the children’s section on someone you know very little about.
- Find a baby name book, make a list of funny name combinations, choose a new name for the day.
- Hunt for authors with your same last name.
- Make sure each kid has their own library card and bag.
* P. (Ed.). (2019, June 26). 25 MINI-ADVENTURES IN THE LIBRARY. Retrieved February 7, 2013, from https://www.pps.org/article/25-mini-adventures-in-the-library?fbclid=IwA...