Select a link below to go directly to your topic of interest:
- Online reading programs
- Adult Literacy READ Program
- Reading recommendations
- Book clubs and discussion groups
- One County, One Book community program
- How to use the library's online catalog (video tutorials)
- Downloadable Digital Books
- Genealogy Resources
- Veterans Resource Center
Reading Challenge - All Ages
Kids, teens, and adults! Since you're reading anyway, why not log your reading for a chance to earn prizes? New opportunities to win every season! Register as an individual or create a family account on our Reading Challenge website.
- VCL Blog The Generous Reader and VCL's Instagram feed Ongoing and timely staff picks, hidden gems, and topical reading suggestions.
- Browsing the Library Shelves - Virtually This web article discusses two ways to use the library catalog as a virtual browsing tool.
- Novelist Plus This online service helps readers discover fiction and nonfiction titles by using previous books read and topics that interest them as criteria for locating new books. Contains author read-alikes, book discussion guides, reviews, and award/genre/topical lists. Login using your library card number as your Patron ID.
- Ventura County Library catalog View lists of recently acquired items in the Library Collections section on the front page of the catalog.
- Bestsellers New York Times | Publisher's Weekly | Indie Bestsellers | Goodreads Listopia
- Award winners National Book Awards for American Literature | National Book Critics Circle Award | Edgar Awards for Mystery Writing | Nebula Awards for Science Fiction | ALA Youth Media Awards | Booker Prize (UK & Ireland)
Book Clubs and Discussion Groups
- The Hill Road Library Book Club meets virtually via Zoom on a monthly basis. Contact email@example.com(link sends e-mail) for more information.
- Check out The Oak View Library Reading Society page for information and a title list of previous years' selections.
- Interested in borrowing a book set for your own book club? Book club kits check out for six weeks and contain 10 copies of the same title, as well as a reader's guide. A list of book club kits is available in the library catalog.
One County, One Book Community Reading Program
2023 selection announcement! Solito, by Javier Zamora.
How to Use the Library's Online Catalog
We have several videos like the one below to assist you in finding the specific item you want. Please see Ventura County Library's YouTube eLibrary Tutorials playlist for more video tutorials.