HelpNow! by Brainfuse - Tutoring & eLearning for all ages/levels
Sign in with your library card number to use the following services:
- Homework Help: 24/7 assistance is available in English and Spanish for Language Arts and Mathematics
- Standardized Testing Help: Assistance is available for PSAT/SAT, ACT, AP and state standardized tests.
- Skills-Building: Choose a topic to receive real-time help.
- Homework Send Question: Submit homework questions for expert guidance.
- 24-Hour Writing Lab: Submit essays and other forms of writing for constructive feedback.
- Live Chess Tutoring - Learn chess strategies and improve your cognitive thinking with an expert chess coach.
Ventura County Library Homework Centers In-person assistance during the school year. Branch locations and hours vary.
Ventura County eLibrary Educational Resources
Some resources will require a library card number to sign in.
- Digital books: | CloudLibrary | EBSCOhost eBooks | BOOKFLIX for young readers | OpenLibrary for students K-12 |
- Encyclopedia: | Encyclopedia Britannica -School Edition |
- Research: | Digital Public Library of America | Gale Power Search | General Onefile (magazines & more) | Gale eBooks (specialized encyclopedias and reference sources) |
- History & Social Studies: | CA Missions (username & password: missions) | Biography in Context | Opposing Viewpoints | Global Issues | World Digital Library | Archives Unbound (Primary Sources) |
- Test & Skill Preparation: | School Center (all grades) | High School Equivalency Center | College Admission Test Prep | College Students | Learning Express Library |
More Online Learning Sites and Resources
Wide Open School A free collection of the best online learning experiences for kids curated by the editors at Common Sense, who have been gathering/organizing content so teachers and families can easily find it and plan each day.
Proquest Quick Access (Grades 3-12) CA State Library link to K-12 online content normally available to CA students through their school districts.
TEDed Video lessons that can be filtered by subject, student level, content-type, and more.
PBS Learning Media Features multi-subject videos, interactive lessons, lesson plans, and links to printable packets for Grades PreK-12.
California State Parks PORTS Explore Home Learning Programs for Grades K-12. Register for free access.
Duolingo A language-learning platform that uses a game-centered approach to engage beginning through early intermediate learners. The company uses the "freemium" model; the apps and the website are accessible without charge, but contain ads. There is a premium ad-free service for a fee. Apps include: Duolingo ABC, Duolingo Kids, Duolingo Language Lessons.
TypingClub.com Learn touch typing. Create a free account to earn badges and keep track of progress.
For younger students:
Sesame Street in Communities Activities, games, videos, and topics revelant for grown-ups to use with children ages 2-6, as well as materials for caregiver support. Also, see Sesame Street's COVID-19 resources initiative Caring for Each Other.
Khan Academy Kids For children ages 2-7, featuring adaptive and independent learning. Includes a curated collection of activities, books, videos, and coloring pages. Download an app and register for free access.
For older students:
HippoCampus A free, core academic web site that provides videos, animations, and simulations on general education subjects to middle-school and high-school students and teachers.
Khan Academy Online courses for all ages/grades in Math, Science, Language Arts, and more. Register for free access.
Ivy League College Courses Online courses from 8 Ivy League Schools. Register for free access.
UC BerkeleyX A variety of Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs) that can be audited for free if you do not require a certificate of completion. Receipt of a verified certificate of completion requires a small fee.