Oak Park Library
Oak Park Library
899 North Kanan Road, Oak Park, CA 91377
Hazel D., Library Supervisor
Mon - Tues 2 - 8
Wed - Thurs 10 - 6
Fri - Sat 10 - 5
Oak Park Library is located at 899 North Kanan Road in Oak Park, CA at the southern edge of the Oak Park High School campus. View map.
Programs & Special Events - Oak Park Library Event Calendar
- NEW! ALS Story Time for hearing impaired children and parents on the third
Thursday of each month at 3:30 PM. Click here for more information
Robots in the Library for 10 yrs & older, most Saturday afternoons.
Storytime for pre-schoolers every Thursday at 10:30 AM.
LEGOs in the Library for 4 yrs old to adults, every other Saturday.
We'll Read Club for 3rd-5th graders meets Nov.,4, 3:30PM, 2014.
Looking for more events? See our system-wide calendar
- Want to know how to get a library card, borrow a book and more? See our FAQ page.
- Access the library catalog from home.
- If a book you want is not available at your local library, it can be be ordered from other libraries at no charge.
- Telephone questions will be answered during open hours. Call (818) 889-2239.
- Does your child need Accelerated Reader Books? Use Medea Creek Middle School's searchable AR List or AR Bookfinder .
- Fifteen computers are available for public Internet access. All computers have the 2010 version of Microsoft Word, Excel, Publisher and PowerPoint. Printing is available at ten (10) cents per page.
- A self-serve copy machine is available at ten (10) cents per page.
- Meeting Room Rental - Two (2) meeting rooms are available for public use.
- The Film and Lecture Room seats forty (40) people and is equipped with a podium and a DVD/Video player that is connected to a projector. The projector also has a laptop computer connection.
- The Conference Room has a large conference table and 16 chairs.
- Reservations are required and are on a 'first come first serve' basis. To check fees and make a reservation please call 818-889-2239.
- 24 hour Book Return: the book drop is located next to the front door of the library.
- Teen Library Volunteers - The top reasons to volunteer:
- Help yourself and your library!
- Volunteering looks REALLY good on college applications!
- Help with the Summer Reading Program or the Robots in the Library program.
Come by or call the library at 818-889-2239 and check it out!
- The Oak Park Friends of the Library group supports and benefits the Library. The Friends run a bookstore which funds the library's Summer Reading Program and other activities. Contact the Librarian for more information on becoming a member of the the Oak Park Friends of the Library or visit the Friends page.
- Volunteers are needed for Adult Literacy Program. For more information click here.
Library service in Oak Park began with a bookmobile stop near the May Boyar Park in 1968. The bookmobile continued to visit until 1981. Oak Park residents lobbied for more library service and in 1979 students mounted a letter writing campaign to get approval for a public library in the community.
In August 1980, the Oak Park School Board and the Ventura County Board of Supervisors approved a jointly operated school/community library located on the Oak Park High School campus. In 1981, the new library opened. By 1992, Oak Park’s population had more than doubled and a new, larger library was needed.
Many options were considered, community members were consulted and the architectural firm, Fields & Devereaux was selected to design the new library. Our award-winning library opened in 2004 and the building incorporates many environmental and energy conservation features.