Meiners Oaks Library
Meiners Oaks Library
114 North Padre Juan, Ojai, CA 93023
Programs & Special Events - Ojai Valley Library Event Calendar
- Paws for Reading - Wednesdays 2:30-4:30pm call the library for specific dates.
- Storytime with Julie - Tuesdays 10:30am
- Looking for more events? See our system-wide calendar
- Meiners Oaks Library is located at 114 North Padre Juan. View map.
- The nearest bus stop is Lomita and El Roblar
- Want to know how to get a library card, borrow a book and more? See our FAQ page.
- Access the library catalog from home.
- Library staff will answer your research questions.
- If a book you want is not available at your local library, it can be be ordered from other libraries.
- Telephone questions will be answered during open hours. Call (805) 646-4804.
- Four Internet computers are available for public use. Two computers are filtered for use by customers under 18.
- Self-serve copy machines are available. Copies are ten cents each.
- Homework Centers are available in most Ventura County Libraries. Click here to see locations and times open.
- Book Drop: the book drop is located next to the front door of the library.
- Volunteers are needed for the Homework Center and Storytimes. Call the Library to volunteer.
- Volunteers are needed for Adult Literacy Program. For more information click here.
- Ojai Valley Library Friends and Foundation: The OVLFF is a non-profit organization dedicated to extending and enhancing public library services throughout the Ojai Valley. They operate the Twice Sold Tales Bookstore in the Ojai Library, sponsor children's and adult programs, provide a courier service for shut-ins, hold a yearly used book sale, and sponsor the SchooLinks homework centers at Ojai, Meiners Oaks, and Oak View Libraries. OVLFF seek to build public-private partnerships to expand opportunities for lifelong learning and personal enrichment. Board meetings are held the fourth Tuesday of the month at 8:00 a.m. at the Ojai Library. For additional information call (805) 289-0368, visit the Friends page.
Meiners Oaks Library is one of the oldest branches in the Ventura County Library system! VCL formed in 1916 and Meiners Oaks Library, known then as the Matilija Library, joined in 1917 at the invitation of the first County Librarian, Miss Julia Steffa. When the principal of Meiners Oaks’ public school, F.H. Shelton, wrote to Miss Steffa to ask to borrow a particular book, she quickly responded that yes, the book could certainly be borrowed but why not join the County Library and keep the book? One month later that is exactly what happened.
By the 1930’s the library had outgrown its school location, changed its name to Meiners Oaks Library, and moved into half of a military barracks at 150 N. Encinal Avenue. The barracks had been relocated from the military installation at the Ojai Valley Inn and cost the County $30 a month to rent. The library custodian was paid $5 a month.
Though tree-shaded, quaint, and conveniently located, the little library unfortunately had inadequate lighting and heating and no water so library staff and the community were pleased when another affordable rental, right on main street at 143 W. El Roblar Drive, became available in 1958. The library moved to the new location and remained there until an even larger building with a lovely rear garden at 114 N. Padre Juan Avenue was rented in 1974. The Meiners Oaks Library has been located there ever since.
In her 1938 History of the Ventura County Free Library, County Librarian Elizabeth Topping wrote: “Matilija Library is in Meiners Oaks. It was a neighborhood project and received a great deal of help and stimulus from its first custodian, Mrs. Emily Richardson. After her came Mrs. Eva Bosselier, Miss Bernice Banning, and the present custodian, Mrs. E. Pearl Koehler.” Other special people who’ve worked in our library over the years are Mrs. Pauline Carr in the 1960’s, Win Coburn in the 1970’s and ‘80’s, and more recently, Dolores Keith and our current Branch Manager, Deb Fletcher.
By Kit Willis
- One week of the Ventura County Star and three months of the Ojai Valley News are kept at the Meiners Oaks Library.
- Meiners Oaks Library has a collection which includes non-fiction, fiction, books on tape, research and magazines. A small Spanish collection is also available.
- Ventura County
- Steve Bennett, Supervisor, County of Ventura
- Ventura County Genealogical Society Home Page and Genealogical Library