Adult Literacy - READ Program
Our Program and Staff
|Our mission is to help adults improve reading and writing skills so that they perceive positive impact on their lives in such areas as self-esteem, employment, family life, and community involvement.|
READ Adult Literacy
- The READ Program trains volunteers to provide free one-to-one reading and writing instruction.
- The Ventura County Library has been offering this program since 1984.
- Our administrative costs are included in the Ventura County Library's budget.
- Additional funding comes from partnerships with other agencies, state grants and donations from businesses and service organizations.
- Instruction takes place in library, school, community and jail facilities throughout Ventura County.
- These sites are managed by part-time professional educators, referred to as site supervisors.
- Site supervisors are available during specified times to assess learner's reading levels, interview tutors, match students with tutors, recommend teaching materials and provide support for learning partners.
Ways to Support Literacy
- Become a volunteer
- Display a READ Program poster at work
- Include READ Program information in your office or church newsletter.
- Invite READ Program staff to speak at your meetings.
- Make a donation. Gifts are gratefully accepted and promptly acknowledged.
For more information about how you can support literacy and make a difference in someone's life, call (805) 677-7160.
- Southern California Library Literacy Network (SCLLN)
- California Library Literacy Services
- ProLiteracy Education Network
* * *