What are Zip books?
Books (print or audio) delivered to you free and directly from Amazon, which you return to your local library when you are done.
Wow, Sounds Cool. Who Sponsors This?
This is a grant program funded by the California State Library.
What’s the Catch?
None! But this service is for books the library does not own, and there are some parameters:
- You must have a library card in good standing with the Ventura County Library
- You are limited to 10 books a month
- You may order all 10 you are allowed at once, or can order them in smaller batches or individually – but remember, only 10 in a month in total.*
- Titles must be available from Amazon
- Print books must be valued under $50. Audio books and foreign language books can be valued up to $75
- Books should not be available at our library (no prepublication orders or brand new releases please)
- Please do not order text books or work books meant to be written in
*If you have books you’d like us to buy beyond the 10 books you’ve ordered, please use our “Make a Suggestion” form. If the book you want doesn’t qualify (maybe it’s out of print), please use our InterLibrary Loan (ILL) service.
How Do I Order Zipbooks?
Just fill out the form below! (But you might want to check our catalog and Amazon to see if a book is currently available from us and meets the criteria above). Please give us time to place the order. Sorry, but we do not notify when orders have been placed.
What Do I Do After My Zipbook is Delivered?
- Enjoy your book
- After three weeks, return the book to your library branch and hand it to staff please. Put the Amazon receipt in the book so we know it was a Zipbook (or put a note inside the book)
What Happens to the Book After I Return It?
If the book meets our Collection Development Criteria, we will put it in our collection.
Fill in the Zip Books Form to request items.