First - be sure you have entered your 14 digit barcode correctly. There may be several reasons access is blocked:
Access to the online resources and the content therein should be given the same consideration you would give any copyright protected material. Salient issues are fair use and public domain. Especially sensitive to content owners is transfer of digital content although some online resources allow limited emailing of content.
- All of the online resources and ebook collections have a HELP section once you have been authenticated.
- Vendors with downloadable content (OverDrive, OneClickdigital, Hoopla, etc.) often have technical support pages (see annotations). These are a good option as the vendors have dedicated staff on call to answer your questions.
cloudLibrary is our primary vendor for popular fiction and nonfiction eAudiobooks (books you listen to on a computer or device) and eBooks (books you read on a computer or device)!
Other vendors ebook offerings:
Yes. Most of our online resources allow free access (meaning you don't have to use a library card number to authenticate) inside of our library buildings.
Online resources have different reasons to ask you to create an account:
- To track and save your progress in lessons and/or tutorials
- To provide access from any device
- To keep track of monthly download or streaming allotments
If problems persist, please send an email to Ventura County Library's Web Librarian and include:
- An ebook is a digital representation of a printed book. One reads an ebook. Not all ebooks are downloadable (though many are), some can only be viewed within a browser, web app or webpage.
See our ebook collections.
- An audiobook is a sound recording of a book. It may be in cassette tape, CD or MP3 format. One listens to audiobooks.
- When Ventura County Library purchases databases, ebooks and eaudiobooks, we enter into a license agreement with the vendor regarding who has access to content. These agreements require us to authenticate your library patronage by using the 14-digit barcode found on your library card to gain entry.
- Library Cards may be obtained at any Ventura County Library location by filling out an application form and presenting it with identification which shows your current street address. (Driver's license is preferred.