Children from 5 to 90 share some Dr. Seuss stories, make a Seussian creation and have some Savory Seuss Snacks!
Read Tim O'Brien's The Things They Carried, the Ventura Big Read selection made up of short stories about the Vietnam War. We can choose a story to read together (most are very short) and then have an informal discussion.
The OverDrive Digital Bookmobile National Tour will make two stops at Ventura County Library locations in February 2014:
- Tuesday, February 11th from 11am to 5pm -- E.P. Foster Library sponsors the event at Ventura Community Park at 910 Kimball Rd. in Ventura, CA.
- Wednesday, February 12th from 10:30am to 4:30pm -- Ray D. Prueter Library at 510 Park Avenue in Port Hueneme, CA.
These events are free!
- Readers will learn how to download eBooks from the library through demonstrations and videos.
- A gadget gallery—featuring Kindle®, iPod® touch, Android™ tablet, NOOK™, Sony® Reader™, BlackBerry®, Windows® Phone, and more, will help visitors discover portable devices compatible with Ventura County Library’s OverDrive download service.
- Ventura County Library cardholders can also check out and download digital titles anytime, anywhere, by visiting http://vencolibrary.lib.overdrive.com/.
- Fiction Writing Essentials with Doug Taylor
- Mapping out the novel to using various kinds of narrative and kinds of dialogue, Doug will discuss the importance of how to begin a novel, how to expand it with subplots and counter points and how to end it properly
- He'll use his novel, Bogota By Bus as a template.
- Interactive workshop with Q & A
Foster Library - A free class where you can learn the basics of playing the ukulele. Don't have a ukulele? Check one out at the library!
Foster Library - The life of comedienne Fanny Brice, from her early days in the Jewish slums of the Lower East Side, to the height of her career with the Zeigfeld Follies, including her marriage to and eventual divorce from her first husband, Nick Arnstein.
Foster Library - The Cost/Benefit Equation: Video Screening, Discussion and Research Presentation. Economists today are contributing to an argument that educators have been making for many decades: the cost is high for spending too little on early childhood care and education; spending enough is literally a good investment. In this interactive session, Dr. Joan Karp and Dr. Kaia Tollefson will share research on the importance and the economics of investing in high-quality early childhood care and education.
Foster Library - A free early literacy educational workshop for parents and/or caregivers of children ages 0-5. Parents/caregivers will learn the 6 early literacy skills and the 5 practices children need to be reading-ready and how to extend stories into activities that the whole family will enjoy, including flannel boarding. Reservations are required, call the library at 648-2716 for more information.
Foster Library - Author Chris Cryer will discuss her book, which tells of her divorced-single-mother adventure in the heart of the Islamic world and her exploration of the Saudi Kingdom's need to preserve old-world values and traditions in the face of change. It offers an antidote to Islamophobia with valuable insight into today's volatile Middle East.